Lets face it, focus group “homework” has not entered the 21st Century. For decades, we sent respondents paper and pencil assignments or “diaries” and crossed our fingers hoping they will complete them. Sometimes, you can find them completing the homework in the facility parking lot. Some people forget completely. Even when such “homework” is successful, it is hard to distribute, hard to collect and hard to analyze. Plus, we researchers rarely get the assignments completed and analyzed in time to actually use the insights in our focus groups. So, homework becomes yet another item to analyze when the groups are over.
Recent “innovations” such as email have helped marginally. Email helps get assignments out faster and helps us to collect them. But, it does not expand our capabilities or help us organize and analyze the homework.
So, 20|20 went to work to begin to solve this problem. The result is a new “Homework Tool” that is a modified version of our online qual software, QualBoard®, QualBoard Mobile™ and LifeNotes™ smartphone app. Researchers can ask open-ended or closed-ended questions. Respondents can respond with text and they can upload pictures or video from a desktop or mobile device. Researchers can see respondent submissions almost instantly for virtually in-the-moment analysis. So, the findings can be incorporated with the discussion guide to make the groups more efficient and insightful.
Because the Homework Tool is a modified version of the popular QualBoard, QualBoard Mobile and LifeNotes software, it is already fully-featured and battle-tested by 1000s of researchers and respondents worldwide. Compared to current “homework” methods, this tool is faster, easier, more efficient and secure than today’s typical methods.
Why is such a tool important to a researcher? Here are some reasons:
- Accuracy. Respondents can record activities and opinions from their desktop or mobile device. These “in-the-moment” responses are more accurate than methods that rely on memory.
- Compelling. A picture is worth 1000 words.
- Timely. No more paper assignments completed in the facility parking lot just before the group.
- Complete. 20|20 monitors participation so non-participants are identified early and prompted to get started.
- Efficient. The researcher can analyze the information as it comes in allowing thoughtful changes to the discussion guide, resulting in deeper insights in the overall project.
- Secure. 20|20’s software and process are secure to keep your data confidential. We are compliant with the following standards: PCI, HIPAA, ISO27002, and EU Safe Harbor.
Importantly, 20|20 provides project managers to manage the homework so you can focus on your research. A 20|20 project manager helps customize your homework for online, monitors participation and helps with timely delivery of the results. The researcher does not have to figure it out on his/her own. Plus, 20|20 can manage the homework assignments anywhere, not just our facilities in Nashville, Charlotte and Miami. Currently, the system is available in English and Spanish.
Susan Brelewski is taking the lead on the rollout. If you are interested or for more information, you can contact her at 704.494.7873 or [email protected] You can also download a product description here.