Will you ride them or be swamped by them?
Michael Tchong describes himself as an Innovation Consultant and Trend Analyst. He is the founder of UberCool and an experienced global speaker. I had the opportunity to see him present at the Insights Association’s NEXT Conference last week. He outlined three trends that resonated with trends we at 20|20 are seeing in the market. I’m calling them the “6 Cs.”
1. Connectivity – always on, always connected to everyone
2. Convergence – technologies coming together (think smartphone)
3. Convenience – “If it’s not easy, I don’t want to mess with it.”
4. Control – “I want the FREEDOM to do my own thing.”
5. Customization – “It’s about what I want. It’s not about what you are offering.”
6. Compression – less time, more multitasking, reduced attention spans, instant gratification
If these trends are even close to true, they signal nothing less than a revolution in the research industry. We will see a massive shift in power and influence. The research industry as it exists today cannot survive in an environment where the “6 Cs” are true. Such an environment is toxic to the research industry of today.
So what are the implications? What are you and I doing to meet this challenge? Are we willing to change or are we basking in the rut of comfortable research and known cash flows? What are you doing to evolve or even revolutionize this business of research?
I am convinced that these trends are right. I’m also convinced that they will rock our industry. The only question is, “Who will be riding these trends and who will be swamped by them?”